Friday 25 February 2011

The Road to the Oscars


As many of you probably know - and it makes me mad that I forgot to mention this in class, too many things in my head! - the 83rd Oscars are slightly over two days away, as the glamorous ceremony will be held this Sunday evening in L.A. , hosted by Anne Hathaway and James Franco.
You may also remember that Javier Bardem is nominated again, this time for the top notch award of best leading actor, no less. Yet, he doesn't seem to stand many chances - nor does Biutiful in the Foreign Language Film category - since King's Speech star Colin Firth is the odds-on favourite in all bets. It remains to be seen how many accolades the box-office hit, critically acclaimed British flick will scoop, apparently quite a few on paper ...
Anyway, I've just watched this interesting feature called "The Road to the Oscars", which I'm embedding down below courtesy of the official web oscar.go.com and I urge you to visit if only to see a wealth of film clips in original version.
I was wondering if you would also like to enter a small competition, just for the sake of fun, you know, though I can spice it up with an enticing prize, maybe a DVD or something, like I did foe the Christmas quiz, remember? The thing is that, why not, I'll email you a printable ballot containing the 24 main categories so that you can play the prediction game and see how many winners you guess right, right?
Then you would send me a message by Sunday evening - a word document, say - with your own choices, and we'll see who was more accurate in their predictions, right? Let me just say I'll be recording the ceremony live on Pro7, the German TV channel - as I've been doing for the last 6/7 years - so that you'll be able to see it too when I edit the stuff.
Fair enough, to whet your "Oscar appetite", here's the short feature I told you about at the beginning of this entry. I just loved listening to British director Kenneth Brannagh, an Oscar nominee himself in the past, with his precise, elegant English accent, appraising this year's nominees in the live action short film category. Will you hear the piece too?

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, as many of you, I haven't seen all the movies wich are running for an Oscar but I love the idea to enter the competition! It's just for fun so let's place your bets, mates!

    - María -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've seen all the movies nominated for Best Picture (I guess that means I have too much free time... while that's not true at all XD)and in my opinion neither The social network nor The King's speech deserves the Oscar... but it's just my opinion XD
    As for the rest of the nominations, I think the Oscars are going to be very distributed this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristina López (C1)
    I've only watched The King's speech and I thought it would be better. I was disappointed with the movie, maybe I had too big expectations about it. As you know, I also watched Biutiful, and you already know what's my opinion about it. From my point of view, Bardem's interpretation deserves the prize more than Firth's, but I know I am not objective as I am trying to support an actor from my country. However, I don't know how James Franco, Jeff Bridges or Jesse Eisenberg were in their interpretations. Anyway, I will enter the competition, it will be funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only saw two of the films nominated for best picture and, although i liked black swan i knew that the king`s speech was going to win, as it has happened.
    Talking about actors, it was quite obvious that Collin Firth was going to get the Oscar, he made a superb role.
    Of course not everebody will agree but in this type of things we must realise what is better and not what we prefer.

    ReplyDelete