Wednesday 9 February 2011

Javier Bardem talks to Jay Leno

Jay, one of the most famous late night hosts on American TV, congratulates Javier Bardem on the arrival of a baby boy with Penelope while our international actor tells Jay that he doesn't like cars and actually hates to drive (to Jay's amazement!)
I know Cristina López, one of my C1 students, is a diehard fan of the Spanish heartthrob, but I'm sure many of you will have fun watching the interview too.



It's always nice to hear a fellow countryman speak rather fluent English despite the occasional mistakes, isn't it? The interview is split into two parts so this is the second excerpt. Well, in this bit Javier recalls how he used to play rugby (a much better sport than the Super Bowl, Jay!) and once he got his nose broken in a bar fight ("a guy decides to have fun with my face" - Jay looks a bit puzzled, because in L.A. "it means a whole different thing" - he he!)
Isn't it funny when he says he cannot speak Spanish any more because he doesn't know the meaning of the word "flasher" in his own language. Fortunately someone in the audience knows better!

2 comments:

  1. Cristina López (C1):

    Thanks a lot, José Luis! I’ve really enjoyed the interview. However, I would like to say something, I like Javier Bardem ONLY as an actor because physically, to be honest, he’s not my type (I prefer George Clooney). Is it correct? Should I say ‘he’s not my cup of tea’ physically speaking? By the way, maybe having a child doesn’t agree with him as I find him a bit fat, don’t you think? Or does he need a bigger size on his suit? Ha, ha!

    Don’t you find a bit weird not driving in Los Angeles? How can he survive? I understand Leno’s amazement.

    Now, in earnest, I think Bardem’s English is pretty good, he’d probably pass the C1 June exam, wouldn’t he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cristina, his English is admirable, since I am away from my beloved Spain &(Salamanca) I am paying very close attention to the accents, mainly when a spanish guy is speaking.I am wondering if Banderas, Gasol, Bardem had am special teacher or method to improved their English in a faster way,the frustrating thing is that I am striving to speak it correctly but my accent is quite strong,It is something I cannot get rid of I am afraid, I learned it very late and thats the reason why.
    By the way my name is Francisco and I like you blog a lot, keep it up.
    Hasta lueguiño!

    ReplyDelete