Friday 7 January 2011

The Waterboys: A man is in love


I'd watched this awareness-raising ONCE campaign for the sake of the disabled a couple of times before, but rather distractedly, I must admit. There was the figure of Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis, uttering a few words, that was all, I thought.
But only yesterday, when I was watching TV with my wife and kids, did I also realize the familiar music in the background, and it dawned on me: "Of course, The Waterboys!" This 80s Scottish folk-rock band, fronted by the great Mike Scott, who I was lucky enough to watch live back in 2000 at Palacio de Congresos, here in Salamanca. Some of you might be familiar with a few hits they produced in the mid-late 80s, namely The Whole of the Moon and A Fisherman's Blues. I always liked their combination of rock sound and an unmistakable Celtic flair.
But this time, in the ad, I distinctively recognized this other melodic song used to support ONCE's social message, A man is in Love, a delightful 3-minute romantic tune, whose beautifully simple lyrics you can read on the scroller down below. I especially love the final instrumental part with the fiddle, so reminiscent of Irish music, which has always been so influential to Mike Scott.
You must have seen the campaign at least ONCE (he he!), but this is it just in case. Do you like it?



And this is, courtesy of goear.com, The Waterboys' "A man is in Love". A lovely song suitably chosen (or is it?) for yet another thought-provoking, moving campaign by ONCE.





Hey guys, it's fantastic when you make your own contributions, though sadly only a few do so regularly. I mean, I really miss some related comments after most of the entries on our blog. Even if it's only a few lines written now and then by most of you expressing your views about something you've read or seen on this site, that would make it look more elaborate and, if I may say so, participative, don't you think? And, I must be honest with you, this would be a clear indication that this blog really matters to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment