Tuesday 11 January 2011

Javier Bardem, a stunning “biutiful” actor


Cristina López
(C1):

I know it is not in English, but why not enjoy an awesome film in our mother tongue?

I had always felt admiration for this actor's interpretations in films such as "Mar adentro" or "Los lunes al Sol". After watching him in this one, I stand by what I have said and add that he is one of our best actors in Spain (together with Luis Tosar, amazing in "Celda 211").

During the promotion of the film, I saw an interview in which Carlos del Amor, a TVE journalist, asked Bardem about the possibility of winning an Oscar for his role as Uxbal in Biutiful. The actor answered that should that happen, he would broadcast the weather in the news that day. He was obviously joking, but I think that he stands many chances of being awarded the prize.

Maybe you are wondering why the title of the film is written in that peculiar spelling. I will not tell you, so you will have to watch the film. However, in my opinion, this adjective describes a moving story in the easiest and simple way: a beautiful film.

At the end of the movie, you will surely think over many trascendental issues you’ll have been showed and others which sometimes you don’t pay special attention to.



I don’t want to reveal the plot of the film as I consider you’ll enjoy it more if you don’t have many clues of what you are going to watch. I’ll only give you some nouns: sadness, death, immigration, exploitation, love, childhood ... In another interview, Bardem confesses that playing this role in Biutiful affected him deeply in the sense that he thought over many things through this character (well, this is only a summary and my interpretation of what he said.) Of course, Iñárritu, the director of the film, is one of the most important pieces in order to achieve such a perfect work. I encourage you to watch Biutiful and then share your opinions and impressions on this blog. I hope you enjoy it at least as much as I did!

This is the trailer as seen in British cinemas:



Actually, this is an interview with Barden and Gonzalez Iñarritu when Biutiful was showcased at the London Film Festival at the end of last October:



Finally, Time magazine interviewed Javier after VCB was premiered and this feature gives an insight of him not only as an actor but also as a person as he answers questions from the readers:

No comments:

Post a Comment