Tuesday 25 January 2011

A great song: David Gray's Babylon


Six years after commencing his music career in 1993, Manchester-born, Welsh-raised singer songwriter David Gray released his fourth studio album called White Ladder, the work that would earn him worldwide recognition as a top act. Not surprisingly the album contains some of David's most famous songs to date, as well as being, arguably, his best recording so far. To me at least it is, definitely.

Gray's musical beginnings could be placed within folk-rock, as he would perform his songs on his acoustic guitar and, rather occasionally, on piano. But gradually he started to introduce computer-generated arrangements and orchestrations, a technique that made him sort of different from many of his contemporary fellow folk artists.

I have fond memories of the songs in that 1999 album, White Ladder: "Sail Away", "Please forgive me", This year of Love", to name a few. But no doubt my fave one was and still is Babylon, the album's second single and his biggest hit to date internationally. The story of a guy whose girl has left him but decided to return over the weekend (dumps him on Friday but is back on Sunday). You know, it's hard to say where the song's title comes from. I think I read some years ago a biblical interpretation, like Babylon was a symbol of "exile" or something, but I'm not too sure. Anyway, I couldn't care less. I just love the heartfelt lyrics, the sweet melody and, above all, David's intimate voice, which reminds me of the great Van Morrison.

I played the song to my C1 students only this morning as a "pick-me-up" and I'd like to share it with all of you. This is a fantastic live cover which includes the lyrics scroller so that you can, as usual, read David's inspirational words. Hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment