Saturday 6 November 2010

The Music Spot: Nightwish Review

Virginia (NA):

Hi everyone!!
This is my first time contributing to a blog so it’s a new experience for me! :D
I would like to start talking about a genre of music that many people avoid because of stereotypes, and it’s metal music. When someone says “Oh, I love metal”, what the majority of people think about immediately is: noise, people screaming, insults, obscene lyrics, and even violence. Well, I’m here to try to change your mind. ;D
It’s true that some bands meet these requirements (and are famous because of that … maybe it has to do with marketing too) such as Slipknot, Rammstein, etc. But not all the bands are like that, in particular, I’m going to talk about my favourite band: Nightwish
Nightwish is a Finnish band founded by Toumas Holopainen and Tarja Turunen. Its style is “symphonic metal”. Why do I think they’re different? Because they have achieved something that, at first sight, may be unimaginable to everybody: mixing metal music and opera. Tarja Turunen is a lyrical soprano and, obviously, has an amazing voice (last year I had the opportunity of listening to her in Madrid and it was one of the greatest experiences in my whole life), and Toumas is a fantastic composer and musician (he plays the keyboards). Some time later, Emppu (guitar), Julius (drums) and Marco (vocals and bass) joined the band, and so, the group was completed.
Sadly, 5 years ago, Nightwish and Tarja went separate ways. Now Nightwish has a new singer, who isn’t so good as Tarja. Don’t misunderstand me: I am not criticizing her, but I consider that Anette (the new singer) shouldn’t sing Tarja’s songs cause her voice is not so powerful as Tarja’s. Anyway, although I prefer Nightwish with Tarja, I have to admit that I like Nightwish with Anette too, but it’s not the same.
The last tour Nightwish and Tarja did ended in Helsinki with a concert in the Hartwall Arena. The whole concert was filmed to be sold on DVD (I have my own ! :D). Another reason why Nightwish is my fave band is because I even like them more in concert than listening to them on a CD.
Well, the song I've chosen was sung during this concert and it’s a cover version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Phantom of the Opera”. Sorry if I have bored you with such a long text, but metal music (and Nightwish in particular) really fascinate me and I just wanted to share them with all of you. Hope you enjoy it!!

P.S.: My fave part is from 3:35-4:14. No words to describe it, AMAZING!


No comments:

Post a Comment