Sunday 14 November 2010

The music spot: Ambience music in video games



Javi (2º NA):

Hello everyone!
As I said in class, I will introduce you to the - unknown by many - world of music in videogames!
Now, you must be thinking, I do not fancy right now listening to some speedy, computerized music from Mario Bros. or whichever strange game this guy is playing.
Actually, there is some pretty good music in more “serious games”, more centred on the adult world. It is like most fields in art, there are games for kids, and games for older people, maybe more violent, maybe with very interesting or remarkable plots, or even non-stop action. Most of these games have in fact very intense and deep music. I think of it as kind of ambience music, like in movies for example.
My favourite soundtrack of a video game would be from Painkiller, developed by People Can Fly. The author of this soundtrack, Marcin “Cedyn” Czartynski, is actually extremely gifted for music and knows how to create the atmosphere for each level of the game perfectly. My favourite one is Train Station:



At this level, you have to deal with the demonic lost souls in an abandoned train station; the developers worked really well on recreating the atmosphere of Zurich's train station. Surrounded by darkness, alone, and full of fear, you attempt to start the level, and then the music plays.
It is funny, because I like to listen to this music when I want to relax, to rest. And while you’re playing the game, you are not precisely doing this! As user Grigorij117 perfectly puts it in a Youtube commentary:
“Try and play this music when you realize that you're alone - and nobody else is home. Try it only when it´s dark - the best moment is when you can see the moon, preferably midnight. Listen to it, and then ask yourself: do I have the courage to go outside?
Do you have the nerve to listen to this music on an MP3 player in the middle of a forsaken part of the city? Or an abandoned railway station?
I’ve tried that. And believe it or not, after few moments I had to run. I did not care where to, just far away from that place.
This is what good music means to me, music that makes you feel every kind of emotion.
Here are a few more examples of great music in video games. I really recommend every one of them. By the way, if you are interested and you actually see the videos, I do not recommend listening to the music of battles, which is pretty horrible and repetitive XD. User ultddave in Youtube has all the videos!


(You are alone in a small island resembling Venetia, and you have to deal with the frightening creatures)

(A boss fights in a claustrophobic level)

Other great games with striking background music are:

Resident Evil 4:

(You can feel the tension in the air ☺)

Resident Evil 5:

(Trust me, it is not nice to be chased by a guy with a chainsaw ;) )

Half-Life 2: The main theme for Half Life (Best game ever!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment