Tuesday 8 March 2011

International Women's Day


"I think that the time is ripe to make fundamental changes in our civilization. But for real change, we need feminine energy in the management of the world. We need a critical number of women in positions of power, and we need to nurture the feminine energy in men. I'm talking about men with young minds, of course. Old guys are hopeless, we have to wait for them to die off. Yes, I would love to have Sophia Loren's long legs and legendary breasts. But given a choice, I would rather have the warrior heart of Wangari Maathai, Somaly Mam, Jenny, and Rose Mapendo. I want to make this world good. Not better, but to make it good. Why not? It is possible. Look around in this room -- all this knowledge, energy, talent, and technology. Let's get off our fannies, roll up our sleeves and get to work, passionately, in creating an almost perfect world. Thank you."

Right. This quote is not obviously mine, but Chilean / naturalized American writer Isabel Allende's, one of the most widely read Spanish-language authors. Some years ago she started a foundation which is renowned for supporting programmes that promote the basic rights of children and women.
Well, as you know today is the International Women's Day and on such occasion Maria, one of my C1 students, has sent me this passionate lecture that Isabel herself delivered in 2007 at one of these TED annual conferences. It ends with the excerpt I quote at the beginning of this entry and you can watch in its entirety right down below. It comes only handy to celebrate a meaningful day like today and the often underrated role of women across the globe.




Actually Maria remembered Isabel's talk when she saw the video I forwarded you guys featuring, funnily enough, another Latin-American icon, Colombian superstar Shakira, who's been of late the talk of the town in our country as she's been spotted around with FC Barcelona player Gerard Piqué. Here she addresses the prestigious Oxford Union, one of the oldest debating societies in the UK, to talk about her own foundation, Pies Descalzos, which helps the poorest children in Colombia by providing them with a decent schooling. I must admit that beyond the often frivolous façade of the music artist ("she's no dumb bimbo", a very suitable comment reads on YouTube) lies a great personality who has a lovely message to spread: the true value of a good education in today's society.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm still astonished, due to her fluency, her lovely accent and her briliant ideas and projects.

    By the way, it's a pity that we need to celebrate a significant day like today. It underscores that our societies need to improve and evolve a lot. Let's hope that we needn't celebrate this day in 20 years' time, because there will be equal opportunities for both genders in our world.

    Luis (C1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys!!!

    I´m overjoyed to participate in this blog. My name is Ascen, one of Jose Luis´fomer students. Lucky you all to attend his lessons, for me, they were unforgettable...he is a kind of showman isn´t he?? Anyway, let´s move on to the issue, we are dealing with, today: women. I´m not a feminist as such, but it doesn´t matter whoever you are, man or woman, our heart is what drives us and determines us...I totally agree with Isabel Allende´s words. I am wondering myself, what kind of world Ascen wants to create...I am aware of many difficulties to achieve my goals and to change this world...however the main obstacle starts inside me...if I had a fearless and determined heart, I would face everything...To be honest I´m really impressed with Isabel Allende´s ideas and projects and above all with her passion and how she believes what she wants to transmit...I wish I could do it in that way...
    Let´s move on now to Shakira´s speech. I share her opinion, in terms of education, everything should be done the earlier, the better, it is our responsability to step our foot into the acelerator...I´m sure that there are lots of heros around us,the vast majority of people know them but we are not able to imitate them. Perhaps we cannot reach their level of humanity but we can fight in favour of justice, loyalty and freedom in our daily routine,in our current decisions. Anyway, I feel so proud of these two amazing women who dare to show their projects and thoughts all around the world, both were fed up with complaints and they did their best to make an almost perfect world. Why don´t we try to support their ambitions and brilliant ideas??
    Take care guys, we keep in touch!!! Jose Luis, feel free to correct my mistakes, my English is a little bit rusty, I hope this blog helps me to keep it updated...XXX

    ReplyDelete